To find out if you qualify for eligible borrower status under the provisions of the Independent Foreclosure Review settlement between the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Federal Reserve Board and ten mortgage servicers announced on January 7, 2013, please call the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Customer Assistance Group at 1.800.613.6743 or visit their website at http://www.occ.treas.gov/topics/dispute-resolution/consumer-complaints/index-consumer-complaints.html.

The Federal Housing Finance Agency is the regulator and conservator for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (commonly referred to as “the Enterprises”), and regulator for the Federal Home Loan Banks.  FHFA has delegated certain authorities to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, including responsibility for day-to-day operations, which involves the handling of consumer complaints.  The Enterprises each have a review process to evaluate situations that arise involving their mortgages or property transactions.  As the Enterprises’ regulator and conservator, FHFA regularly reviews the Enterprises’ processes; however, FHFA does not resolve individual complaints.  FHFA cannot follow up on the status of your issue, advocate or resolve individual consumer issues, act as a court of law or lawyer on your behalf, give you legal advice, become involved in complaints that are in litigation or have been litigated, or become involved in complaints that involve parties we do not regulate.

Please note that FHFA has no regulatory authority over banks, mortgage lenders, or servicers. If your issue involves a bank, mortgage lender, or servicer, contact the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency Customer Assistance Group at 1.800.613.6743 or visit the following website: http://www.occ.treas.gov/topics/dispute-resolution/consumer-complaints/index-consumer-complaints.html or the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau at 1.855.411.2372 or visit the following website: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/mortgagehelp/

If your issue involves the Enterprises, first contact your servicer to verify if your mortgage loan is owned or guaranteed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, or you may verify it yourself by accessing http://www.makinghomeaffordable.gov/get-assistance/loan-look-up/Pages/default.aspx. 

If your mortgage is not owned or guaranteed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac or a Federal Home Loan Bank, you should contact the lender or servicer’s primary regulator. FHFA has no regulatory authority, and will be unable to assist you. To identify the primary regulator, see http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/national-banks/national-banks.html

If the property or mortgage is owned or guaranteed by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, you should contact the Enterprise directly. Fannie Mae can be reached at 1.800.732.6643 or www.fanniemae.com. Freddie Mac can be reached at 1.800.373.3343 or www.freddiemac.com

If you are unable to successfully communicate with Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac or if you have a problem with a Federal Home Loan Bank, you should do the following: 

(1) Contact FHFA:
        Email at ConsumerHelp@fhfa.gov 
        Fax at 202.649.1072
        Letter at: 
            Consumer Communications 
            Federal Housing Finance Agency
            Constitution Center 
            400 7th Street, SW 
            Washington, DC 20024 

Please note that FHFA only responds to consumer communications for which FHFA is the primary addressee.

Call the Consumer Help Line at 202.649.3811 where you will have the option to speak to someone at Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac or leave a message for FHFA.  FHFA will only respond to consumer complaints in writing.

(2) Provide the following information 

Your name, address, telephone number(s) and email address. 
The borrower/s’ name, address, telephone number(s) and email address, if different. 
The complete property address for the mortgage or REO property. 
The name of the lender or servicer involved in the issue. 
The name of the regulated entity involved in the issue: e.g., Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac or a Federal Home Loan Bank. 
A brief description of the issue: specifically, what happened? Who was involved? What resolution do you seek? 
Name/s of other government agencies you have contacted about this issue. 
The borrower’s authorization for you to represent him/her, if you are not the borrower. 

(3) Do not provide 

Personal or confidential information such as your social security number, credit card or bank account numbers. 
Personal financial documents such as loan applications, mortgage statements, income verification, tax returns, or similar materials. 

*Privacy Act Notice* 
This notice is provided pursuant to the Privacy Act of 1974 (Privacy Act), as amended, 5 U.S.C. § 552a. The collection of information detailed above is to process consumer complaints and inquiries. The records are used in accordance with Systems of Records Notices (SORN), FHFA-3 Correspondence Tracking System and FHFA-20 Telecommunications System. You can view these SORNs by clicking here and here.  Although providing this information is voluntary, failure to provide the requested information may result in your request not being processed and may make it more difficult for FHFA to respond to you.